Coconut oil, is an essential oil derived from coconut and has been proven to be an effective remedy for toenail fungus treatment. Toenail fungus or athlete’s foot is an infection that can be caused by several fungi that grow beneath the nail.
It starts as a small white or yellow spot, but has to be treated as soon as possible otherwise it can spread to other parts of the body or cause you to lose your nails. As it spreads, it becomes an infection between the toenails and the skin. The fungus may cause discoloration and discomfort to the toenail which it affects.
Why is coconut oil good for toenail fungus treatment?
It is widely used in beauty products as it contains healthy fat, caprylic acid, vitamin E, lauric acid, etc., all of which promotes healthy skin, hair and nails and act against fungi. It also contains many nutrients that helps to strengthen your nails and cuticles and as well act as moisturizer to keep your feet soft and to avoid further fungus infections.
How do you get toenail fungus?
A small crack in your nail or the skin surrounding your nail can attract germs to your nail, which can lead to a nail infection. Anyone is susceptible to this infection but however, certain persons are more likely to get infected than others, particularly people with the following conditions.
2. Weak immune system
3. Blood circulation problems
4. Nail injury, etc.
Symptoms of toenail fungus
Below are some of the symptoms you might experience when you have toenail fungus:
1. The infected nails become thick and looks swollen
2. Discoloration of the toenail
3. Foul smell
4. The nail becomes fragile or cracked, etc.
How to use coconut oil for toenail fungus treatment
Using coconut oil for toenail fungus treatment is relatively easy and straightforward. Even asking others for assistance won’t be necessary. However, you should note that the coconut oil therapy takes sometime, it doesn’t heal immediately.
Here’s how to use coconut oil for toenail fungus treatment.
- First, you have to ensure that your hands and feet are clean and dry.
- Then, you pour a little amount of coconut oil on your hands, if the oil is in liquid form. But if it is in solid form, you make sure to melt it before using it. It is still very much okay to leave it in the solid form, just put a little amount on your hands and rub it, to warm it up.
- Apply the oil on the affected nails. Make sure it also reaches underneath your nails and wrap the nail in a bandage.
- Allow it for some time before removing the bandage and study the healing process. Repeat the process for at least two times daily till it is fully healed.
- You can combine the oil with some other natural solutions or essential oils.
N/B The process is pretty simple. The only thing you will have to keep in mind is that coconut oil therapy lasts for a while, so you will have to be extremely disciplined, be sure to do it regularly as regular applications of this natural remedy yields best results.
How to Prevent Toenail Fungus
Sometimes it is better to prevent an ailment than to look for cure. Below are some of the preventive measures to take in order to prevent toenail fungus.
1. Keep your feet clean at all time
2. Cut your nails short and do not share nail cutter with others
3. Treat any nail injury immediately
4. Always keep the feet dry and wear clean socks as moist or damp environments are the most favorable for the fungi to grow.
5. Avoid walking barefoot in the public places where the fungal infection can be easily spread.
6. Always apply coconut oil or other essential oils on your toes, to help stave against infections.